From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 19:30:15
1 On 28-May-12 20:58, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 >>>> Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off?
4 >
5 > Up front: I don't know. Not my area of expertise, but I also don't
6 > think you've given enough information about your system to really
7 > answer.
8 >
9 > 1) Are you using openrc or systemd? (which version?)
10
11 openrc 0.9.8.4
12
13 > 2) Are you using an initramfs? (Generated by what version of what?)
14
15 no, but I might be forced to use it later when udev >=181 becomes
16 stable.
17
18 > 3) Are there any circumstances where your root filesystem is read-only?
19
20 The only I know is shutdown, when / is remounted read-only.
21
22 > But why would you want to?
23
24 I do not see any advantage in having /run on tmpfs.
25
26 > will be automatically moved to your swap partition if doing so
27 > benefits your system.
28
29 I'm not sure it is true. I have read somewhere that tmfps is
30 never moved to swap. Anyway, I prefer not using swap at all.
31 And I have better use for physical memory than holding some
32 more-or-less statical data...
33
34 <OT>
35 I always liked Gentoo because it gives me complete freedom
36 and control over my system. *I* could decide what I want to
37 use or not. And I'd be very dissapointed if Gentoo one day goes
38 to "YouCanNotTurnThisOffBecauseWeKnowWhatIsTheBestForYou" way...
39 </OT>
40
41 Jarry
42 --
44 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
45 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.