From: Chris Boot <bootc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC only for priviliged users?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:21:19
1 On 9 Dec 2005, at 17:29, Spider (D.m.D. Lj.) wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:21 +0100, Jesús García Crespo wrote:
4 >> Hi! I thought that GCC could means a risk if all of the users of my
5 >> system are able to run it! I talked this with a friend and he
6 >> propossed
7 >> to create a new group, "compiler", for example, where all the users
8 >> who will be able to run gcc must belong to it!
9 >>
10 >> Wouldn't be interesting to implement this into Gentoo gcc ebuild
11 >> as an
12 >> USE?
15 > Exactly what risk is there from an end-user running a compiler? A
16 > compiler doesn't access any kind of restricted environment, doesn't
17 > auytomatically create binaries with other rights than its own and is
18 > about as "safe" a product as there can be.
19 >
20 > And if you think that users running their own programs is a risk,
21 > simply
22 > mount /home as noexec, ( make sure to impose the same limitations
23 > on /tmp and /var/tmp as well, since users have write-access there)
26 > And.. really. python, perl, awk, bash ... All of those are fully
27 > capable
28 > of creating and running programs. And no, I do not think you can limit
29 > the use thereof from user accounts.: )
32 Don't forget you can run a normal executable with noexec as well:
33
34 /lib/ld-linux.so some_executable
35
36 Which basically makes noexec on a mount completely useless. Try it:
37 mount some partition with noexec, copy bash to it, and run it with
38 the above.
41 > If you're really paranoid about execution and so on, start reading the
42 > SELinux FAQ and create a ruleset.. The default one is probably more
43 > lenient than you want it ;)
44 >
45 > //Spider
46 > --
47 > begin .signature
48 > Tortured users / Laughing in pain
49 > See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information.
50 > end
53 Chris
56 Chris Boot
57 bootc@×××××.net