From: "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC only for priviliged users?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:34:21
1 On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:21 +0100, Jesús García Crespo wrote:
2 > Hi! I thought that GCC could means a risk if all of the users of my
3 > system are able to run it! I talked this with a friend and he propossed
4 > to create a new group, "compiler", for example, where all the users
5 > who will be able to run gcc must belong to it!
6 >
7 > Wouldn't be interesting to implement this into Gentoo gcc ebuild as an
8 > USE?
11 Exactly what risk is there from an end-user running a compiler? A
12 compiler doesn't access any kind of restricted environment, doesn't
13 auytomatically create binaries with other rights than its own and is
14 about as "safe" a product as there can be.
15
16 And if you think that users running their own programs is a risk, simply
17 mount /home as noexec, ( make sure to impose the same limitations
18 on /tmp and /var/tmp as well, since users have write-access there)
21 And.. really. python, perl, awk, bash ... All of those are fully capable
22 of creating and running programs. And no, I do not think you can limit
23 the use thereof from user accounts.: )
26 If you're really paranoid about execution and so on, start reading the
27 SELinux FAQ and create a ruleset.. The default one is probably more
28 lenient than you want it ;)
29
30 //Spider
31 --