From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User group problem
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:14:01
1 Zac Slade wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 01:34, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
3 >
4 >>I sometimes have to add my user to a group. This of course doesn't take
5 >>effect until I log out and back in. However, if I'm under X, I can't
6 >>logout without first exiting X.
7 >>
8 >>So, I'm wondering if there is any way to re-log the user without exiting X?
9 >
10 > Not really. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
11 >
12 > However, if you are using a terminal to launch an application and using "bash
13 > -l" for that terminal application then anything you start will show the new
14 > group.
15 >
16 > If you are instead just launching from the applications menu in your desktop
17 > (kde, gnome, blackbox) then you have to log out of X then log back in.
18
19 Maybe I'm not doing something right. From KDE's konsole, I invoked a
20 new shell with "bash -l" and then ran "id" but it did not reflect the
21 new group.
22
23 Tony
26 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
27 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
28 -- Benjamin Franklin
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list