From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 7800 GTX: opensource driver stable?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:13:54
1 Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
4 > > I'm not looking for the latest video card, just one with good performance
5 > > and open source drivers.
6
7 > You won't get hardware 3D with nvidia and open source drivers. So
8 > you'll either have to accept the proprietary drivers (which are pretty
9 > good IMO) if you want hardware 3D, or prefer an ATI card supported by
10 > the radeon driver. But I have no current experience with ATI, so
11 > others will have to comment about that side of the world.
12
13 Hello Richard,
14
15 Yea, I guess that's why I suggested the nvidia. NObody seems to want to
16 state how well/poor opensource ATI drivers code is working. When I read,
17 what I can find from googling, it's either dated or confusing.
18 I'd go with an ATI card and opensource drivers, if somebody would
19 indicate a card that gives reasonble performance, for less than $200.00 usd.
20
21 I leaning towards the nvidia 7800 based card. Good performance, reasonable
22 price. Here is the best reference I found on building a cost effective
23 gaming system:
24
25 http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/a/DIYBudgetGamePC.htm
26
27 My other concerns are how well is the mobo supported under linux? Since gaming
28 systems run hot, cooling and lm_sensors support seems critical in putting
29 together a gaming system. I not whether I should used a 'water cooler' or if
30 force air cooling is sufficient. If I used a water cooler, should it also cool
31 the gpu on the graphics card? I do not intend to 'overclock' the graphics card
32 at this time. If I cannot determine that this mobo (MSI K9N SLI Platinum) is
33 linux (lm_sensors) friendly, then maybe somebody can/will recommend another
34 mobo that support's SLI and amd64 processors and is not too expensive?
38 James
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list