From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade, no sound.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:52:03
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 June 2007, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I upgraded my kernel the other day and now I have no sound at all. I
7 >> have checked Alsamixer and Kmix to make sure it is not muted and it
8 >>
9 >> appears to be turned up there. This is lspci:
10 >>
11 >>> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
12 >>> (rev 0a)
13 >>>
14 >> I have this built into my kernel:
15 >>
16 >>> <*> Emu10k1 (SB Live!, Audigy, E-mu APS)
17 >>>
18 >> I copied my old .config over and did a make oldconfig but it has the
19 >> same setup as before. I just don't have any sound at all. I did
20 >> make sure my speakers are powered on, plugged into the puter and
21 >> everything I checked says it is unmuted. Maybe I missed one though.
22 >>
23 >> The kernel version that works is gentoo-sources-2.6.18-r6, the one
24 >> that does _not_ work is gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r8 if that will help.
25 >>
26 >> I did boot my old kernel, the 18 version, and the sound works fine.
27 >> If I boot the new 20 version, nothing. Kernel problem or am I
28 >> missing something?
31 > I had a similar thing, no sound with any kernel after .18
32 >
33 > My card is not the same as yours so my exact solution won't work for
34 > you. What I did was note which modules were loaded, then run alsaconf
35 > and let it do it's thing. Note which new modules it loaded and put
36 > those in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
37 >
38 > It appeared to be that the modules dependency information changed with
39 > my driver around .18 and the earlier config just didn't cut it anymore.
40 > Of course, I could also be completely wrong :-)
41 >
42 > alan
46 Thanks for the info but I build everything in the kernel. I never liked
47 modules. I suspect that something did change about the kernel though.
48 I may just stick with the older kernel for now and try another version
49 later.
50
51 Still open to ideas though.
52