From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade, no sound.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:13:13
1 On Thursday 14 June 2007, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I upgraded my kernel the other day and now I have no sound at all. I
5 > have checked Alsamixer and Kmix to make sure it is not muted and it
6 >
7 > appears to be turned up there. This is lspci:
8 > > 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
9 > > (rev 0a)
10 >
11 > I have this built into my kernel:
12 > > <*> Emu10k1 (SB Live!, Audigy, E-mu APS)
13 >
14 > I copied my old .config over and did a make oldconfig but it has the
15 > same setup as before. I just don't have any sound at all. I did
16 > make sure my speakers are powered on, plugged into the puter and
17 > everything I checked says it is unmuted. Maybe I missed one though.
18 >
19 > The kernel version that works is gentoo-sources-2.6.18-r6, the one
20 > that does _not_ work is gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r8 if that will help.
21 >
22 > I did boot my old kernel, the 18 version, and the sound works fine.
23 > If I boot the new 20 version, nothing. Kernel problem or am I
24 > missing something?
25
26 I had a similar thing, no sound with any kernel after .18
27
28 My card is not the same as yours so my exact solution won't work for
29 you. What I did was note which modules were loaded, then run alsaconf
30 and let it do it's thing. Note which new modules it loaded and put
31 those in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
32
33 It appeared to be that the modules dependency information changed with
34 my driver around .18 and the earlier config just didn't cut it anymore.
35 Of course, I could also be completely wrong :-)
36
37 alan
40 Optimists say the glass is half full,
41 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
42 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
43
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
46 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list