From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:55:28
1 · Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@×××××.net>:
2
3 > How is it that the baselayout has changed and now the domainname script
4 > is missing from /etc/init.d and all sorts of other ramifications because
5 > of this?
6
7 "this" == you, not configuring the system?
8
9 > It makes very little sense to ditch the unix norm of setting a
10 > systemwide domain name in favor of doing it per interface!
11
12 True. And that's probably why you don't *have* to set it per interface.
13
14 But I agree, it makes no sense to even be able to set this per interface.
15 At least I don't see how or when this could be useful and how this should
16 work.
17
18 > Now I see
19 > that I have to set domainname in /etc/conf.d/net and that the domainname
20 > program returns "(none)". A lot of software is affected by this
21
22 By "what"? By a misconfigured system?
23
24 Alexander Skwar, who also was quite surprised when the domainname
25 configuration moved to /etc/conf.d/net.
26 --
27 The eternal feminine draws us upward.
28 -- Goethe
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list