From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:26:40
1 On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:50:28 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > > It makes very little sense to ditch the unix norm of setting a
4 > > systemwide domain name in favor of doing it per interface!
5 >
6 > True. And that's probably why you don't *have* to set it per interface.
7
8 Exactly, the current system gives the choice of setting it globally or
9 per-interface in the same file.
10
11 > But I agree, it makes no sense to even be able to set this per
12 > interface.
13
14 I can think of a couple of uses for this.
15
16 A laptop with wired and wireless interfaces. wired is only used on the
17 "home" network, with a fixed domain. wireless is used in multiple
18 locations with the domain set via DHCP.
19
20 A server with multiple interfaces, running different domains on each,
21 although this could also be done with virtual hosts.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 "Apple I" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.