From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:11:22
1 · Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:50:28 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3
4 >> But I agree, it makes no sense to even be able to set this per
5 >> interface.
6 >
7 > I can think of a couple of uses for this.
8 >
9 > A laptop with wired and wireless interfaces. wired is only used on the
10 > "home" network, with a fixed domain. wireless is used in multiple
11 > locations with the domain set via DHCP.
12
13 Okay. But what's the domainname, when both NICs are "connected"?
14
15 > A server with multiple interfaces, running different domains on each,
16 > although this could also be done with virtual hosts.
17
18 Hm? I don't get this. For NICs, there are no domainnames. And Virtual
19 Hosts only exist in the context of webservers. In this context, I don't
20 see how this makes sense.
21
22 Alexander Skwar
23 --
24 You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have,
25 for instance.
26 -- Franklin P. Jones
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list