From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:04:18
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>> Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On Saturday 26 Nov 2011 15:22:15 Michael Mol wrote:
8 >>>>> I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
9 >>>>> builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
12 >>>>> awesome...
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> ZZ
17 >>>> Thanks for sharing! How do you determine the optimum value for -l?
18 >>> How do you get emerge not to display number of jobs and load average --
19 >>> I only want to compile one at a time -- much safer that way and it is
20 >>> doing that, but now it displays all that load average and how many jobs,
21 >>> etc. -- any way to get rid of that display?
22 >>>
23 >> Thank Zac for that. He thinks he knows what you want. ;-)
24 >> Apparently not huh?
25 >>
26 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901858.html
27 >>
28 >> Just add --quiet-build=n to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf and it
29 >> will do it the old way.
30 >>
31 >> Hope that helps.
32 > Thanks much. Don't these people have anything to do -- like fix ebuild
33 > bugs? Very strange indeed.
36 Well, they had the poll but the dev thinks he knows better. So, this is
37 Gentoo and the devs rule the roost here. It's pretty much been that way
38 since I started using Gentoo back in 2003. I don't expect it to change
39 and you shouldn't either. ;-) Just do like I do, when they change
40 something, override it with your own setting. It works for me.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!