From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:49:33
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Saturday 26 Nov 2011 15:22:15 Michael Mol wrote:
7 > >>> I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
8 > >>> builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
9 > >>>
10 > >>> I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
11 > >>> awesome...
12 > >>>
13 > >>> http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
14 > >>>
15 > >>> ZZ
16 > >> Thanks for sharing! How do you determine the optimum value for -l?
17 > > How do you get emerge not to display number of jobs and load average --
18 > > I only want to compile one at a time -- much safer that way and it is
19 > > doing that, but now it displays all that load average and how many jobs,
20 > > etc. -- any way to get rid of that display?
23 > Thank Zac for that. He thinks he knows what you want. ;-)
24 > Apparently not huh?
25 >
26 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901858.html
27 >
28 > Just add --quiet-build=n to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf and it
29 > will do it the old way.
30 >
31 > Hope that helps.
32
33 Thanks much. Don't these people have anything to do -- like fix ebuild
34 bugs? Very strange indeed.
37 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
38 How do
39 you spend it?
40
41 John Covici