From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:31:56
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
2 > On Feb 10, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
4 > >> On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > >>> On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Christian Apeltauer wrote:
6 > >>>> Hello list,
7 > >>>> when I synced my portage tree today, I saw that kmail-4.4.0 needs
8 > >>>> kdelibs compiled with USE="semantic-desktop" and cannot be told to not
9 > >>>> use it. But I do not like the idea of semantic desktop and I will not
10 > >>>> install it.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> you don't even now what that is. Right?
13 > >>>
14 > >>> You just don't use 'it' and you are fine. Btw, I am sure you already
15 > >>> have it installed with soprano.
16 > >>
17 > >> My understanding is the semantic-desktop is just the latest incarnation
18 > >> of kde's clone of google desktop search which just wastes CPU, memory,
19 > >> and disk space. Personally I don't see the need for this technology as
20 > >> I'm perfectly happy waiting a few seconds on "find" every few months.
21 > >
22 > > your understanding is wrong. Completely wrong. Seriously it hurts.
23 > >
24 > > start here:
25 > >
26 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
27 > >
28 > > and then proceed with the links.
29 > >
30 > > google-desktop is something completley different (and something that can
31 > > be replaced with find, locate and grep).
32 >
33 > OK, after reading several articles from the given starting point, I now
34 > understand why semantic-desktop wastes so much cpu, memory, and storage
35 > (really, if you organize your data properly who cares about a file's
36 > relationship to an email?).
37
38 because to 'organize it properly' you would need a huge directory tree plus
39 symlinks plus explaining notes to even simulate a small token of the stuff
40 'semantic desktop' can do for you..
41
42 > Also didn't read anything even hinting at
43 > security awareness of the technology which is really scary (imagine an
44 > attack that get's access to the RDFs,
45
46 those RDFs are in your home directory. If someone can read your home you are
47 screwed anyway.
48
49 > it'd tell the attacker exactly which
50 > additional files to target).
51
52 oh yes, reading stuff about emails tells him to read more emails. That is
53 scary.
54
55 > And since I don't use/like dolphin, I'll
56 > stick with my original opinion that the semantic-desktop should be totally
57 > disabled/uninstalled.
58
59 and you can do that. Oh wow. That useflag only turns on soprano. Nothing else.
60 Which means nothing. You are not forced to use that stuff.
63 > IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another
64 > desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).
65
66 yeah good luck with that. Because gnome is moving in that direction too.
67
68 Seriously guys, you start sounding like luddites. Is new, must be bad.