From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:33:25
1 >> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
2 >> desktop attaches to my TV.  I'm using a small wireless router to send
3 >> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
4 >> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
5 >> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
6 >> only firewall/router duties.  Am I overlooking another option?  I want
7 >> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
8 >> room to the other.
9 >
10 > Usually that's called a "cable".  ;)
11 >
12 > Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
13 > bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
14 > talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges.  I've
15 > got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that.  You just set them
16 > up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
17 > down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.
18
19 I hadn't heard of a wireless bridge before. That sounds about right.
20 DD-WRT running as a wireless bridge wouldn't be so bad right?
21
22 - Grant