From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screwed up swap while trying to get hibernate working; help
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:38:01
1 On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Walter Dnes<waltdnes@××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I ran hibernate once unsuccessfully. I forgot to put "resume=" into
8 >>> my lilo.conf (oops). I finally did that, but now, hiberate gets to...
9 >>>
10 > [snip]
11 >>>
12 >>> What did I did? And how do I straighten it out?
13 >>
14 >> Umm... if you're hibernating to the same swap partition you're using
15 >> when the system's live... I'm pretty sure you can't do that...
16 >
17 > :) Actually it can! This is the whole point of using a swap partition for
18 > hibernating! In fact, this is the only configuration I used (one swap
19 > partition to suspend to) for years, until I got a laptop with 4G ram I
20 > thought a large swap partition was a bit redundant. Now I hibernate to a
21 > file.
22 >
23 > tuxonice can hibernate to 1 or more swap partitions.
24 >
25 >> even if
26 >> everything does manage to fit, having sort out what belongs back in
27 >> ram and what doesn't ... it's not a very sane thing to expect the
28 >> kernel+userspace tools there to do. If I recall from last time I
29 >> considered setting it up on my system, software hibernate needs an
30 >> otherwise unused swap partition that's just a little bigger than the
31 >> amount of physical ram in your system.
32 >
33 > actually it can also free up some ram, and your image is compressed using
34 > lzf which can achieve a claimed 30 - 50% but generally you should have
35 > enough free swap to cover the size of used RAM.
36 >
37 > If you have too little swap, tuxonice will "abort gracefully"
38 >
39 > cya,
40 > --
41 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
42 >
43 > "He don't know me vewy well, DO he?" -- Bugs Bunny
47 I stand quite humbly corrected... this is what I get for leaving my
48 old desktop running 24/7 unless kernel changes or power outtages
49 interrupted. Now with my playing Combat Arms... and being limited to
50 Windows for that... I may well resort to setting up hibernating for my
51 system... finally. Great to know the details better now! (and my
52 apologies for the misinformation)
55 Poison [BLX]
56 Joshua M. Murphy