From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screwed up swap while trying to get hibernate working; help
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 05:18:55
1 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Walter Dnes<waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> I ran hibernate once unsuccessfully. I forgot to put "resume=" into
4 >> my lilo.conf (oops). I finally did that, but now, hiberate gets to...
5 >>
6 [snip]
7 >> What did I did? And how do I straighten it out?
8 >
9 > Umm... if you're hibernating to the same swap partition you're using
10 > when the system's live... I'm pretty sure you can't do that...
11
12 :) Actually it can! This is the whole point of using a swap partition
13 for hibernating! In fact, this is the only configuration I used (one
14 swap partition to suspend to) for years, until I got a laptop with 4G
15 ram I thought a large swap partition was a bit redundant. Now I
16 hibernate to a file.
17
18 tuxonice can hibernate to 1 or more swap partitions.
19
20 > even if
21 > everything does manage to fit, having sort out what belongs back in
22 > ram and what doesn't ... it's not a very sane thing to expect the
23 > kernel+userspace tools there to do. If I recall from last time I
24 > considered setting it up on my system, software hibernate needs an
25 > otherwise unused swap partition that's just a little bigger than the
26 > amount of physical ram in your system.
27
28 actually it can also free up some ram, and your image is compressed
29 using lzf which can achieve a claimed 30 - 50% but generally you should
30 have enough free swap to cover the size of used RAM.
31
32 If you have too little swap, tuxonice will "abort gracefully"
33
34 cya,
38 "He don't know me vewy well, DO he?" -- Bugs Bunny