From: Daniel Quinn <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to find the EFI partition?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:19:15
1 I just bought the prettiest desktop there ever was and I'm having
2 trouble with the install. I'm quite comfortable with a BIOS setup, but
3 UEFI is still making my brain hurt and Windows 10 co-existing on the
4 machine isn't helping.
5
6 Basically, I can't find where to tell Grub and everything else to look
7 for boot stuff. On my laptop (Surface Pro), the machine came
8 partitioned (by Windows 8) to have an "EFI system partition". So the
9 output of `parted` on my laptop looks like this:
12 Number Start End Size File system
13 Name Flags
14 1 1049kB 379MB 377MB ntfs Basic data
15 partition hidden, diag
16 2 379MB 588MB 210MB fat32 EFI system
17 partition boot, esp
18 3 588MB 722MB 134MB Microsoft reserved
19 partition msftres
20 4 722MB 53.2GB 52.4GB Basic data
21 partition msftdata
22 5 53.2GB 256GB 203GB ext4
23 6 256GB 256GB 16.1MB
26 However, my new desktop came pre-installed with Windows 10 and there's
27 no EFI system partition on either of the drives:
30 # parted /dev/nvme0n1
31 GNU Parted 3.2
32 Using /dev/nvme0n1
33 Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
34 (parted) print
35 Model: Unknown (unknown)
36 Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
37 Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
38 Partition Table: msdos
39 Disk Flags:
40
41 Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
42 1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
43 2 106MB 354GB 354GB primary ntfs
44 4 354GB 512GB 157GB primary ext4
45 3 512GB 512GB 524MB primary ntfs diag
48 # parted /dev/sda
49 GNU Parted 3.2
50 Using /dev/sda
51 Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
52 (parted) print
53 Model: ATA WDC WD4002FFWX-6 (scsi)
54 Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
55 Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
56 Partition Table: gpt
57 Disk Flags:
58
59 Number Start End Size File system
60 Name Flags
61 1 17.4kB 134MB 134MB Microsoft reserved
62 partition msftres
63 2 135MB 4001GB 4001GB ext4 Basic data
64 partition msftdata
67 Note that all I did to the partitioning scheme above was:
68
69 * Shrink partition #3 on the first disk and create a new one in the
70 vaccuum (ext4) for Gentoo
71 * Delete partition #2 on the second disk (it was empty ntfs) and replace
72 it with one big ext4.
73
74 So what do I tell grub and the kernel to use for boot information? The
75 handbook mentioned that there were differences between gpt and msdos
76 partition setups, but the machine came this way, setup with msdos on the
77 first disk and I'd rather not blow away all 300GB of Windows on a
78 hunch. Do any of you have experience with this? Some guidance here
79 would be super.