From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:17:29
1 On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Then don't update. Wanna keep up with upstream? Then accept that sometimes
6 >>> you will need to change your setup, and change how you do stuff. Regards.
7 >>
8 >> This is so like something I have told folks about windoze.  Awesome !  To
9 >> think I stayed away from windoze because of the freedom Linux gives a user
10 >> just to find out now, its not as different as I thought.  :-(
11 >
12 > But the freedom is still there. The freedom to either keep your system
13 > as it is (don't upgrade), or to modify the source code to suit your
14 > own needs.
15
16 Please don't ever, ever, ever recommend not upgrading as a reasonable
17 long-term strategy. I don't like to think about how many security
18 problems exist in systems I'm familiar with because "not upgrading"
19 was the more convenient route.
20
21 The other side of what you're saying, "show me the code," is
22 reasonable. And if there's only one upstream maintainer who's got what
23 feels like the entire Linux community over a barrel on this, that
24 seems like a really good idea in principle.
25
26 > Just don't expect from upstream to maintain code for each and every
27 > possible configuration. It gets really complex really really really
28 > fast.
29
30 See also: LibreOffice requiring CUPS discussion earlier this week. No
31 surprises there, and it's understandable.
32
33 Still, I think I understand the complexity of what we're talking
34 about, yet it feels like the developer has a serious case of "my use
35 cases are the most valid ones, and I want to simplify udev's problem
36 space in favor of that."
37
38 As long as (and only as long as) udev isn't required for a server to
39 well and correctly, that's almost reasonable. That almost puts it in
40 the same class as DBus. (See the discussion from *last* week.)
41
42 Perhaps udev's problem is that it's too complex, as a result of having
43 too large a problem scope.
44
45 > Upstream (either Gentoo, or the kernel, or udev, or all of them) will
46 > decide to support only a subset of all possible configurations and it
47 > will mark them as supported. Don't aprove of that? Then maintain it
48 > yourself (which you have the freedom to do), or keep up with the
49 > change.
50 >
51 > Freedom doesn't equals to "give me everything I want, and the way I
52 > want it". The freedom we have is "here is this set of programs, and we
53 > support this set of configurations; if you don't like it, here is also
54 > the source code". Which is light years better than in Windows or MacOS
55
56 Code or GTFO. Classic FL/OSS fare. (Admittedly the best solution we've
57 found so far)
58
59 ...
60
61 I remember devfs, and that it was rejected in favor of udev because
62 some things belong in userspace. udev, as far as I understand, udev
63 listens to hotplug events and performs actions in response. Perhaps an
64 alternate implementation is in order.
67 :wq