From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:52:49
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Then don't update. Wanna keep up with upstream? Then accept that sometimes
5 >> you will need to change your setup, and change how you do stuff. Regards.
6 >
7 > This is so like something I have told folks about windoze.  Awesome !  To
8 > think I stayed away from windoze because of the freedom Linux gives a user
9 > just to find out now, its not as different as I thought.  :-(
10
11 But the freedom is still there. The freedom to either keep your system
12 as it is (don't upgrade), or to modify the source code to suit your
13 own needs.
14
15 Just don't expect from upstream to maintain code for each and every
16 possible configuration. It gets really complex really really really
17 fast.
18
19 Upstream (either Gentoo, or the kernel, or udev, or all of them) will
20 decide to support only a subset of all possible configurations and it
21 will mark them as supported. Don't aprove of that? Then maintain it
22 yourself (which you have the freedom to do), or keep up with the
23 change.
24
25 Freedom doesn't equals to "give me everything I want, and the way I
26 want it". The freedom we have is "here is this set of programs, and we
27 support this set of configurations; if you don't like it, here is also
28 the source code". Which is light years better than in Windows or MacOS
29 X.
30
31 > Yeppie !!
32