From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:30:47
1 kashani wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> kashani wrote:
4 >>> Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Hi,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been
8 >>>> trying to
9 >>>> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
10 >>>> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I
11 >>>> don't
12 >>>> have SATA on this rig.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they
15 >>>> are a
16 >>>> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
17 >>>> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
20 >>> SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
21 >>>
22 >>> kashani
23 >>>
24 >> I been looking at these cards on newegg. I haven't had a SATA drive
25 >> before and confess I don't know a lot about them. They are faster and
26 >> have little bitty cables. I'm looking at this one:
27 >>
28 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003
29 >>
30 >> I notice that it has two internal and two external connectors. Can I
31 >> assume that the "eSATA" means external or is that something else?
32 >>
33 >> Also while I have the link and you are most likely looking at it, is
34 >> this a good fast card? It appears to be a pretty recent revision since
35 >> it also says SATA II.
36 >
37 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATA
38 > esata is different sort of connection, but a number of new
39 > external drives are starting to support it.
40 >
41 > This looks to be your best choice.
42 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815102102&cm_re=pci_sata_II-_-15-102-102-_-Product
45 > I assume that any motherboard that does not support SATA also does not
46 > support PCI-E or PCI-X, but you should make sure that you have a free
47 > slot and verify that slot type before buying something.
48 >
49 > kashani
53 OK. Lets see if my muddy water has cleared up any. I can use the same
54 drives on either a "SATA" or a "eSATA" its just that the cable is
55 different? The "eSATA" cable is shielded where the internal one is
56 not. No difference in speed or anything, just the cable? Correct?
57 That's how I read the link.
58
59 Your link to newegg is a good one. It only has two ports which may work
60 if I don't have to buy any more drives before my new build. It is
61 cheaper too. Jeez, they fill up fast on DSL. LOL
62
63 Thanks.
64
65 Dale