From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:06:40
1 Dale wrote:
2 > kashani wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been trying to
7 >>> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
8 >>> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I don't
9 >>> have SATA on this rig.
10 >>>
11 >>> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they are a
12 >>> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
13 >>> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
14 >>>
15 >>> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
16 >> SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
17 >>
18 >> kashani
19 >>
20 > I been looking at these cards on newegg. I haven't had a SATA drive
21 > before and confess I don't know a lot about them. They are faster and
22 > have little bitty cables. I'm looking at this one:
23 >
24 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003
25 >
26 > I notice that it has two internal and two external connectors. Can I
27 > assume that the "eSATA" means external or is that something else?
28 >
29 > Also while I have the link and you are most likely looking at it, is
30 > this a good fast card? It appears to be a pretty recent revision since
31 > it also says SATA II.
32
33 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATA
34 esata is different sort of connection, but a number of new external
35 drives are starting to support it.
36
37 This looks to be your best choice.
38 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815102102&cm_re=pci_sata_II-_-15-102-102-_-Product
39
40 I assume that any motherboard that does not support SATA also does not
41 support PCI-E or PCI-X, but you should make sure that you have a free
42 slot and verify that slot type before buying something.
43
44 kashani