From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:28:27
1 On Monday 17 December 2007 14:38:30 Raphael wrote:
2 > So, even if Portage was recoded in C++, performance improvements
3 > would be marginal and the cost in man-hours would be too high. It
4 > would take months before reaching the maturity level Portage has now
5 > and all this time could be better spent trying to find solutions to
6 > its architectural bottlenecks.
7 >
8 > I believe that a good solution would be evolving Portage to use
9 > different forms of storage, like databases or even LDAP. In a home
10 > desktop, you could use SQLite, which is light weight. In a Office
11 > enviroment, you could use a larger database, like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
12 > In this second case, it would even make sharing the package list
13 > faster, since the only current method is sharing it over NFS.
14 >
15 > I understand that doing so could bloat Portage dependencies, but
16 > it is, IMHO, a good way to improve its speed.
17
18 This post is hilarious for several reasons. Firstly there already exist a
19 package manager for Gentoo which is written in C++. Paludis. And it has a lot
20 of features that Portage has been missing for five years. And it's way more
21 flexible than Portage. Secondly if you just put ebuilds in a database you
22 gain nothing. I.e. other than the added bloat. I/O is still going to be the
23 major bottleneck. :P
26 Bo Andresen