From: Raphael <raphael.melo21@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:22:05
1 On Dec 17, 2007 12:20 PM, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Monday 17 December 2007 14:38:30 Raphael wrote:
3 > > So, even if Portage was recoded in C++, performance improvements
4 > > would be marginal and the cost in man-hours would be too high. It
5 > > would take months before reaching the maturity level Portage has now
6 > > and all this time could be better spent trying to find solutions to
7 > > its architectural bottlenecks.
8 > >
9 > > I believe that a good solution would be evolving Portage to use
10 > > different forms of storage, like databases or even LDAP. In a home
11 > > desktop, you could use SQLite, which is light weight. In a Office
12 > > enviroment, you could use a larger database, like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
13 > > In this second case, it would even make sharing the package list
14 > > faster, since the only current method is sharing it over NFS.
15 > >
16 > > I understand that doing so could bloat Portage dependencies, but
17 > > it is, IMHO, a good way to improve its speed.
18 >
19 > This post is hilarious for several reasons. Firstly there already exist a
20 > package manager for Gentoo which is written in C++. Paludis. And it has a lot
21 > of features that Portage has been missing for five years. And it's way more
22 > flexible than Portage. Secondly if you just put ebuilds in a database you
23 > gain nothing. I.e. other than the added bloat. I/O is still going to be the
24 > major bottleneck. :P
25
26 Hey, I made someone laugh today. Good deed of the day: check! :P
27
28 I was unaware of Paludis. Re-reading the thread now, I saw that
29 someone mentioned it. After googling for it, seems a lot of people are
30 fond of it. Why is it not the default package manager yet?
31
32 As for the second part, yes, using a database wouldn't get rid of the
33 I/O problem, but could diminish it, since database data isn't spread
34 across several directories and files. And I'm not proposing to store
35 the entire ebuild within, but a representation of it that could be
36 easily queried.
39 > --
40 > Bo Andresen
41 >