From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:30:32
1 On Monday 17 December 2007 16:14:24 Raphael wrote:
2 > Hey, I made someone laugh today. Good deed of the day: check! :P
3
4 :)
5
6 > I was unaware of Paludis. Re-reading the thread now, I saw that
7 > someone mentioned it. After googling for it, seems a lot of people are
8 > fond of it. Why is it not the default package manager yet?
9
10 It's not my decision so I'm not going to answer this. I can, however, say that
11 Paludis still lacks a couple of features that Portage has (most notably
12 binary package support and pkg/slot-move support).
13
14 > As for the second part, yes, using a database wouldn't get rid of the
15 > I/O problem, but could diminish it, since database data isn't spread
16 > across several directories and files. And I'm not proposing to store
17 > the entire ebuild within, but a representation of it that could be
18 > easily queried.
19
20 Which would add an awful lot of complexity and require major design changes in
21 order to gain anything. The beauty of the ebuild format is its simplicity. I
22 don't really think it's worth it.
25 Bo Andresen