From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:15:35
1 Hi, Alan,
2
3 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hi, Gentoo,
6
7 > > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
8
9 > > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
10 > > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox instead.
11
12 > > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
13 > > know there's a binary for this).
17 > everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware, especially RAM
18 > closely followed by PSU.
19
20 Yes, you're right. :-(
21
22 When I run memtest86 from the gentoo boot disk, it signals millions of
23 failures in b11 of 32 bit words.
24
25 I'll try unplugging and replugging these.
26
27 Thanks for the tip.
28
29 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com