From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:36:46
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > > Hi, Gentoo,
6
7 > > > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
8
9 > > > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst
10 > > > emerging the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging
11 > > > Openbox instead.
12
13 > > > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes,
14 > > > I know there's a binary for this).
18 > > everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
19 > > especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
20
21 > Yes, you're right. :-(
22
23 > When I run memtest86 from the gentoo boot disk, it signals millions of
24 > failures in b11 of 32 bit words.
25
26 > I'll try unplugging and replugging these.
27
28 No help. :-(
29
30 No matter how I plug in the RAM (4 combinations of 2 sticks into 2 pairs
31 of slots) it is always b11 which fails and always at an address ending
32 in (hex) 0 or 8.
33
34 How is this DDR3 Ram organised? Is each stick 64 bits wide, or are they
35 32 bits wide, being accessed by the motherboard pairwisely? If the
36 latter, I would have exected the failure to move to address ....4 and
37 ....C when I swap the two sticks. Am I being prematurely pessimistic in
38 thinking the motherboard might be the fault?
39
40 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
41
42 > --
43 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).