From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:44:13
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 >> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi, Gentoo,
10 >>>>
11 >
12 >>>> My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
13 >>>>
14 >
15 >>>> The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst
16 >>>> emerging the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging
17 >>>> Openbox instead.
18 >>>>
19 >
20 >>>> Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes,
21 >>>> I know there's a binary for this).
22 >>>>
26 >>> everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
27 >>> especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
28 >>>
29 >
30 >> Yes, you're right. :-(
33 >> When I run memtest86 from the gentoo boot disk, it signals millions of
34 >> failures in b11 of 32 bit words.
37 >> I'll try unplugging and replugging these.
38 >>
39 > No help. :-(
40 >
41 > No matter how I plug in the RAM (4 combinations of 2 sticks into 2 pairs
42 > of slots) it is always b11 which fails and always at an address ending
43 > in (hex) 0 or 8.
44 >
45 > How is this DDR3 Ram organised? Is each stick 64 bits wide, or are they
46 > 32 bits wide, being accessed by the motherboard pairwisely? If the
47 > latter, I would have exected the failure to move to address ....4 and
48 > ....C when I swap the two sticks. Am I being prematurely pessimistic in
49 > thinking the motherboard might be the fault?
52 >>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
53 >>>
54 >
55 >> --
56 >> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
59 Sounds to me like the mobo may have issues. If swapping the ram around
60 doesn't move the error, then the chips on the mobo that connect to the
61 ram may be bad.
62
63 I would still rule out power issues if you can. A bad power supply, or
64 a weak one, can cause some pretty weird problems.
65
66 Hmmm, I would also try putting in two sticks, then running the test and
67 seeing what that says. If it still errors, try the other two sticks.
68 If it still fails in the same place, see if you can put the sticks in
69 the other two slots. Some mobos don't care what slot you have them in.
70 May want to refer to the manual on that.
71
72 Let's hope for something simple and cheap. ;-)
73
74 Dale
75