From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:13:38
1 On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mar 4, 2012 12:54 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> >>> I just received the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook and I'm trying to
6 >> >>> install Gentoo but I can't get install-amd64-minimal-20120223.iso to
7 >> >>> boot via a USB key.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> Have you tested your boot USB keys on another machine?
10 >> >
11 >> > Gentoo is installed but I can't get my USB->ethernet adapter to bring
12 >> > up an eth0 (or any other) interface.  It works if I boot the Kubuntu
13 >> > USB key.  I've definitely built the correct driver into the kernel
14 >> > (mcs7380).  I'm going through an emerge world right now to bring
15 >> > everything up to date.  Is there anything else I might need to do?
16 >> >
17 >> > - Grant
18 >>
19 >> I enabled some more kernel options under USB Network Adapters and it's
20 >> working now.  The install is about done but there were a few
21 >> peculiarities:
22 >>
23 >> 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
24 >> deleted all partitions.
27 > That's normal. It's a long story, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 expects
28 > the first partition to start at sector 2048.
29 >
30 > You can force a lower number by toggling "DOS compatibility"; this should
31 > let you start the first partition as low as sector 63.
32 >
33 > HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
34 > 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that the
35 > hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors. [1]
36
37 <snip the rest>
38
39 From what I recall of looking at that toy's specs, it's running on an
40 SSD, so it becomes even more important, performance-wise, to have
41 things aligned properly so any one write doesn't cause two full erase
42 blocks to be cycled. The 1MB alignment is, if I recall, a balance
43 Microsoft struck as the midpoint between multiple hardware vendors to
44 work well on any of them... raid arrays, SSDs, advanced format hard
45 drives with 4k sectors on-disk, etc.
48 Poison [BLX]
49 Joshua M. Murphy