From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:14:14
1 [snip]
2 >> HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
3 >> 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that the
4 >> hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors. [1]
5 >
6 > <snip the rest>
7 >
8 > From what I recall of looking at that toy's specs, it's running on an
9 > SSD, so it becomes even more important, performance-wise, to have
10 > things aligned properly so any one write doesn't cause two full erase
11 > blocks to be cycled. The 1MB alignment is, if I recall, a balance
12 > Microsoft struck as the midpoint between multiple hardware vendors to
13 > work well on any of them... raid arrays, SSDs, advanced format hard
14 > drives with 4k sectors on-disk, etc.
15
16 Just to confirm, starting at block 2048 is OK?
17
18 - Grant