From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:36:14
1 Grant writes:
2
3 > Just to confirm, starting at block 2048 is OK?
4
5 Yes, if it's divisible by 8, it's okay. That's because 512 * 8 = 4096, so
6 every 8th 512-byte block starts on a 4096 block boundary.
7
8 Now I have a related question: My new seagate Barracuda
9 Green 2TB ST2000DL003-9VT166 drive has 4096 bytes per sector, but uses
10 something that is called SmartAlign(TM) [*]. Seagate says that there are
11 no performance impacts even when the partitions are misaligned. This
12 would be good, because I completely forgot about this when creating
13 partitions, and I would like to keep it as it is now. Has anyone heard
14 about this? Can I trust Seagate that what they say is correct?
15
16 [*] www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/de.../mb6101_smartalign_technology_faq.pdf
17
18 Wonko