From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 01:56:35
1 On Mar 5, 2012 3:37 AM, "Alex Schuster" <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Grant writes:
4 >
5 > > Just to confirm, starting at block 2048 is OK?
6 >
7 > Yes, if it's divisible by 8, it's okay. That's because 512 * 8 = 4096, so
8 > every 8th 512-byte block starts on a 4096 block boundary.
9 >
10 > Now I have a related question: My new seagate Barracuda
11 > Green 2TB ST2000DL003-9VT166 drive has 4096 bytes per sector, but uses
12 > something that is called SmartAlign(TM) [*]. Seagate says that there are
13 > no performance impacts even when the partitions are misaligned. This
14 > would be good, because I completely forgot about this when creating
15 > partitions, and I would like to keep it as it is now. Has anyone heard
16 > about this? Can I trust Seagate that what they say is correct?
17 >
18 > [*] www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/de.../mb6101_smartalign_technology_faq.pdf
19 >
20 > Wonko
23 Your URL got munged there, I can't download the pdf.
24
25 Rgds,