From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which filesystem for a notebook?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:06:06
1 On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:24:31 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > In the last year, I have run XFS, reiserfs v3, and ext3 on my laptop.
4 > I mostly agree with you, although XFS doesn't really replace entire
5 > files with zeros, just blocks that have been allocated but not written
6 > with actual data...so /var/log/messages is likely to get some zeros in
7 > the event of a bad crash. Files that were not being written at the
8 > time of the crash are not affected.
9
10 XFS is good for a laptop as it is less likely to suffer a sudden failure
11 than a desktop, the battery acts as a UPS. As long as you run some sort
12 of battery monitor that shuts the computer down cleanly when battery
13 levels become critical, power loss should not be an issue.
14
15 > XFS: aggressively caches, so might give you some power
16 > savings...although real-world savings are likely to be slight to none.
17 > Nice features (the only one that offers a free defragmentation utility,
18 > even if it is brain-damaged). Cannot be shrunk, only grown.
19
20 However, it can be grown while mounted, something that is unsafe with the
21 other filesystems, and something the OP asked for.
22
23 > Reiserfs V3: Excellent performance for _some_operations, slower
24 > performance for others. Also can only be grown.
25
26 That's not correct. resize_reiserfs can shrink as well as grown, but the
27 filesystem must be unmounted.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Windows booting: insert CD-ROM 2.