From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:09:02
1 On Thursday 26 Jan 2012 08:48:28 Michael Mathurin wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > Hi list,
4 > >
5 > > I ran across this news item about Google:
6 > >
7 > > http://alturl.com/s7xi5
8 > >
9 > > The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like Google
10 > > since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy with. Next
11 > > they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me surf. I found a
12 > > search engine that may work. It is here:
13 > >
14 > > www.ixquick.com
15 > >
16 > > Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either. I do
17 > > like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping tool.
18 > >
19 > > Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too. Yea,
20 > > everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my posts
21 > > anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it happens. Anyway,
22 > > what is a nice stable email account server that allows pop access,
23 > > Seamonkey as the email program, that is not tracking everything or nosey
24 > > as heck? Free would be nice but I would pay something inexpensive on a
25 > > yearly basis if it is really good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't
26 > > they sort of like Google already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer
27 > > Yahoo is going to last or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of
28 > > getting tired of switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a
29 > > policy change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
30 > > matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am again.
31 > >
32 > > Thoughts? Suggestions?
33 > >
34 > > Dale
35 > >
36 > > :-) :-)
37 > >
38 > > Long URL just in case the shorty above doesn't work. It may be broken
39 > > tho. Copy and paste alert.
40 > >
41 > > http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers
42 > > -across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpis
43 > > rc=al_comboNE_b
44 >
45 > For an alternative search engine you should have a look at DuckDuckGo
46 > I've used it in the past and it has a pretty impressive set of
47 > features. As for e-mail I've heard good things about FastMail. Hushmail
48 > used to be a good one but I'm not sure how they stand today.
49
50 I've used Fastmail for years and is a very reliable email provider. It does
51 not have the storage allowance of Gmail on its free account, so space will run
52 out unless you start deleting messages. Also, unless you pay you are only
53 allowed to access messages via webmail and IMAP4, not POP3. There are options
54 for webmail scrapers or archiving of messages via mail clients, but Fastmail
55 is not Google in terms of access options and features.
56
57 BTW, it seems to me that if you access youtube and at the same time search
58 Google without being logged in to any of their portals, they will not be
59 tracking your email for user profiling purposes. They may be logging IP
60 addresses but it could be different users on the same IP address, so
61 advertising results would not be relevant.
62
63 Delete flash and normal cookies, do not log in to any Google sites and you
64 should be as good with their tracking of your habits as you always were.
65
66 To search in relative anonymity you could of course use tor if you can put up
67 with their slow connections, or perhaps visit Scroogle who also offer an SSL
68 page in case you want to avoid anyone sniffing your packets. Scroogle looks
69 like ixquick except that they only serve Google search results. At busy times
70 Google blocks Scroogle access, so it may be getting too popular for its own
71 good.
72 --
73 Regards,
74 Mick