From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:10:35
1 Am 26.01.2012 11:07, schrieb Mick:
2 > On Thursday 26 Jan 2012 08:48:28 Michael Mathurin wrote:
3 >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
4 >>> Hi list,
5 >>>
6 >>> I ran across this news item about Google:
7 >>>
8 >>> http://alturl.com/s7xi5
9 >>>
10 >>> The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like Google
11 >>> since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy with. Next
12 >>> they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me surf. I found a
13 >>> search engine that may work. It is here:
14 >>>
15 >>> www.ixquick.com
16 >>>
17 >>> Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either. I do
18 >>> like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping tool.
19 >>>
20 >>> Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too. Yea,
21 >>> everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my posts
22 >>> anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it happens. Anyway,
23 >>> what is a nice stable email account server that allows pop access,
24 >>> Seamonkey as the email program, that is not tracking everything or nosey
25 >>> as heck? Free would be nice but I would pay something inexpensive on a
26 >>> yearly basis if it is really good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't
27 >>> they sort of like Google already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer
28 >>> Yahoo is going to last or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of
29 >>> getting tired of switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a
30 >>> policy change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
31 >>> matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am again.
32 >>>
33 >>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
34 >>>
35 >>> Dale
36 >>>
37 >>> :-) :-)
38 >>>
39 >>> Long URL just in case the shorty above doesn't work. It may be broken
40 >>> tho. Copy and paste alert.
41 >>>
42 >>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers
43 >>> -across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpis
44 >>> rc=al_comboNE_b
45 >>
46 >> For an alternative search engine you should have a look at DuckDuckGo
47 >> I've used it in the past and it has a pretty impressive set of
48 >> features. As for e-mail I've heard good things about FastMail. Hushmail
49 >> used to be a good one but I'm not sure how they stand today.
50 >
51 > I've used Fastmail for years and is a very reliable email provider. It does
52 > not have the storage allowance of Gmail on its free account, so space will run
53 > out unless you start deleting messages. Also, unless you pay you are only
54 > allowed to access messages via webmail and IMAP4, not POP3. There are options
55 > for webmail scrapers or archiving of messages via mail clients, but Fastmail
56 > is not Google in terms of access options and features.
57
58 +1 for Fastmail. I guess the "add free" service for 5 bucks per year
59 would be sufficient for Dale as he doesn't need much online space when
60 he uses POP3, anyway.
63 > BTW, it seems to me that if you access youtube and at the same time search
64 > Google without being logged in to any of their portals, they will not be
65 > tracking your email for user profiling purposes. They may be logging IP
66 > addresses but it could be different users on the same IP address, so
67 > advertising results would not be relevant.
68 >
69 > Delete flash and normal cookies, do not log in to any Google sites and you
70 > should be as good with their tracking of your habits as you always were.
73 This made me thinking: Does anyone out there use different browsers for
74 different services? Like using Chrome only for GMail, Youtube and G+,
75 Opera for Facebook and Firefox for normal browsing?
76
77 I guess you could achieve the same using different user profiles. For
78 example `firefox --no-remote -P google` and `firefox --no-remote -P
79 default`.
80
81 Regards,
82 Florian Philipp