From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:50:50
1 On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 15 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > After looking at some of the discusion at:
4 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-644321.html
5 > > I saw there that gentoo's charter had been pulled.
6 > >
7 > > What does that actually mean? And who is such a charter with?
8 >
9 > The charter is a legal document filed with the State of New Mexico, it's
10 > the document that permits the Gentoo Foundation to exist as a legal
11 > entity. Because of unfiled paperwork etc etc the charter is no longer
12 > current and valid, and the Gentoo Foundation does not exist as a legal
13 > entity. On a code basis, it means that the Gentoo "G" logo, all ebuilds
14 > in the tree and portage itself now are not owned by anyone. Of course
15 > this is a dangerous position for those copyrights and logos to be in.
16
17 I don't want to sound like a European who's been through two world wars (I
18 haven't of course, although at times I can feel as if I have), but the people
19 who allowed that to happen would normally be taken out (not to make a mess on
20 the floor) and shot!
21
22 Is there a legit way to recover from this position, without take overs,
23 juntas, curfews and summary executions? Who needs to do what?
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick