From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] understanding --depclean
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:29:32
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:13:00 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>> That may have been the case some time ago, but depclean is much safer
6 >>> now. Notice that the warning at the start of its output has
7 >>> disappeared now?
8 >>>
12 >> That is true but let's say a person updates python but forgets or
13 >> doesn't know, to run python-updater, will --depclean know that?
16 > If packages depnd on the older version of python, depclean won't remove
17 > them. If it's just a matter of depending on the correct modules,
18 > python-updater will fix that after the older python has been removed.
21 It seems portage has changed a lot in how it tracks things.
24 >> What if emerge doesn't work and they don't have buildpkg of some sort in
25 >> make.conf?
28 > Why would emerge stop itself working?
31 From my unerstanding, if it can't find python, no worky. See above tho.
34 >> I agree that --depclean is a LOT better but there are still situations
35 >> where it can mess up a system. It is best to be careful and really
36 >> look at that list before letting it remove a package. Basically, don't
37 >> type it in and walk off to let it do whatever it wants.
40 > While I always run it with --pretend first, that's because I'm more
41 > curious than paranoid. What are these situations in which it can really
42 > mess up a system and are they situations that any sensible user would put
43 > themselves in?
46 >> I also seem to remember that big warning when --depclean runs. I think
47 >> that may still be there for a reason. ;-)
50 > See above, that warning has been gone for some time. The preamble now
51 > contains this indication that depclean is a lot more cautious.
52 >
53 > * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
54 > * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
55 > * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
56 > * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
61 I haven't used it in a while so I was not aware that it was changed.
62 Looks like there as been some new code added here as well.
63
64 I still think it reasonable to say that a person should be careful.
65 Nothing is perfect. I know I watch it when I am doing some house cleaning.
66
67 Dale
68