From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] understanding --depclean
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:14:06
1 On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:13:00 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > That may have been the case some time ago, but depclean is much safer
4 > > now. Notice that the warning at the start of its output has
5 > > disappeared now?
8 > That is true but let's say a person updates python but forgets or
9 > doesn't know, to run python-updater, will --depclean know that?
10
11 If packages depnd on the older version of python, depclean won't remove
12 them. If it's just a matter of depending on the correct modules,
13 python-updater will fix that after the older python has been removed.
14
15 > What if emerge doesn't work and they don't have buildpkg of some sort in
16 > make.conf?
17
18 Why would emerge stop itself working?
19
20 > I agree that --depclean is a LOT better but there are still situations
21 > where it can mess up a system. It is best to be careful and really
22 > look at that list before letting it remove a package. Basically, don't
23 > type it in and walk off to let it do whatever it wants.
24
25 While I always run it with --pretend first, that's because I'm more
26 curious than paranoid. What are these situations in which it can really
27 mess up a system and are they situations that any sensible user would put
28 themselves in?
29
30 > I also seem to remember that big warning when --depclean runs. I think
31 > that may still be there for a reason. ;-)
32
33 See above, that warning has been gone for some time. The preamble now
34 contains this indication that depclean is a lot more cautious.
35
36 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
37 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
38 * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
39 * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 If your VCR still flashes 12:00 - then Linux is not for you.