From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] understanding --depclean
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:13:10
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:00:08 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> Be very careful with --depclean. It can really mess up something if you
6 >> are not watching close.
9 > That may have been the case some time ago, but depclean is much safer
10 > now. Notice that the warning at the start of its output has disappeared
11 > now?
16 That is true but let's say a person updates python but forgets or
17 doesn't know, to run python-updater, will --depclean know that? What
18 if emerge doesn't work and they don't have buildpkg of some sort in
19 make.conf?
20
21 I agree that --depclean is a LOT better but there are still situations
22 where it can mess up a system. It is best to be careful and really
23 look at that list before letting it remove a package. Basically, don't
24 type it in and walk off to let it do whatever it wants.
25
26 I also seem to remember that big warning when --depclean runs. I think
27 that may still be there for a reason. ;-)
28
29 Dale
30