From: Tobias Reichl <news@×××.de>
To: Alan McKinnon <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is my data gone?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:11:45
1 Hi,
2
3 sorry for replying directly to you and not to the mailing list, but I
4 read through gmane, so technically I'm not a list member. Feel free to
5 reply to the mailing list.
6
7 > On Friday 30 April 2010 00:43:41 dhk wrote:
8 >> While setting up a new disk I accidentally ran "mke2fs /dev/sda1"
9 >> instead of "mke2fs /dev/hda1". When I realized the mistake
10 >> (about 2 seconds later) I hit Ctrl-C before mke2fs was done.
11 > For all practical intents and purposes, and for all reasonable
12 > values of "effectively", your data is effectively gone.
13 > Money, lots of money, could tip the sales in your favour.
14 > This is why you made backups. You did make backups, right?
15
16 Thinking about that, do you know if there's a way to make backups of
17 the superblock to a file? In cases like this it might be possible to
18 recover access to most of the data, if one is quick...
19
20 Ciao
21
22 TCr