From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] yet another eeepc story
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:05:39
1 On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:57:28 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
2
3 > I'm wanting to try gentoo on my eeepc 900, but I'm failing at some very
4 > basic level. I've got an external CD drive attached and booted from the
5 > current i686-2008 minimal cd. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the
6 > wired or wireless network devices so I'm unable to grab the stage3 and
7 > portage tarballs.
8
9 That CD is too old, either use one of the snapshots or something like
10 eexubuntu to install Gentoo.
11
12 > I was going to put them on a CD then work on the network stuff later
13 > with a more recent kernel, then I realised that the SSDs in use won't
14 > really like compilations being done (apart from it being achingly slow
15 > on this processor).
16
17 SSDs use wear levelling, so they aren't subject to the same write
18 restrictions as more basic flash devices. But if you're still nervous
19 about this, point PORTAGE_TMPDIR to a USB or SD device. I've been running
20 Gentoo on my Eee for a year,running ~x86 so plenty of compiling, and no
21 noticeable problems with the SD card I use for PORTAGE_TMPDIR.
22
23 As for compilation times, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not fast, but
24 a lot faster than I expected.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses