From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] yet another eeepc story
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:42:50
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:57:28 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm wanting to try gentoo on my eeepc 900, but I'm failing at some very
5 >> basic level. I've got an external CD drive attached and booted from the
6 >> current i686-2008 minimal cd. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the
7 >> wired or wireless network devices so I'm unable to grab the stage3 and
8 >> portage tarballs.
9 >
10 > That CD is too old, either use one of the snapshots or something like
11 > eexubuntu to install Gentoo.
12
13 Ah ok, I had totally forgotten there are the snapshots. I'm getting a
14 new image that's less than a month old now. Hopefully it will have a
15 more recent kernel.
16
17 >> I was going to put them on a CD then work on the network stuff later
18 >> with a more recent kernel, then I realised that the SSDs in use won't
19 >> really like compilations being done (apart from it being achingly slow
20 >> on this processor).
21 >
22 > SSDs use wear levelling, so they aren't subject to the same write
23 > restrictions as more basic flash devices. But if you're still nervous
24 > about this, point PORTAGE_TMPDIR to a USB or SD device. I've been running
25 > Gentoo on my Eee for a year,running ~x86 so plenty of compiling, and no
26 > noticeable problems with the SD card I use for PORTAGE_TMPDIR.
27 >
28 > As for compilation times, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not fast, but
29 > a lot faster than I expected.
30
31 You've just about swayed me. I'll use an old usb stick for the
32 PORTAGE_TMPDIR and maybe use distcc if it seems to help.
33
34 The only other thing I was thinking about is: If the appropriate drivers
35 for this eee900 are indeed in the 2.6.28 series, can you provide
36 pointers to the locations of necessary options? I have read here and
37 there that I need to use the athk(?) driver for wireless, and there is
38 such thing as the eeepc_laptop module, but I have no idea about
39 configuring a kernel for them.
40
41 Much appreciated.
42