From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail in $HOME/.maildir, why ???
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:34:45
1 Christoph Gysin wrote:
2
3 > It's called the "maildir" mail storage format. I find it very useful,
4
5 Personally I do not see any advantage of it over /var/spool/mail.
6 On the other side, separate partitions for /var (with mail) and /home
7 (with user files) let me define different quotas for mail and files.
8 Well, at least I thought it, until I found out that mail is actually
9 in /home too...
10
11 > Your mailreader must support maildir to read mails from it, of course.
12 > But yours seems to do it (with -f), so that's not really a problem, is it?
13
14 Not for me, but for my users. Now I have to go through each mailreader
15 and find out how to force it reading mails from .maildir
16
17 > normally your /home isn't that small, so that shouldn't be a problem
18
19 I have a users, which do not have access to the server so I did not
20 plan any diskspace in /home for them. Instead of that, /var is much
21 bigger because I expected all mail to be stored there...
22
23 BTW, if some users do not have $HOME, where their .maildir will be???
24
25 > Again, use a pop3 server which supports maildir, and everything is fine.
26
27 I must look for one or to find how to force my pop3-server to use
28 maildir...
29
30 > You could add mbox to your useflags and emerge sendmail. If you *really*
31 > want to use mbox...
32
33 That seem to me to be much easier. First I will find some info about it,
34 but if there is no substantial advantage in using maildirs instead of
35 /var/sool/mail, I will switch to the "old" mail storage system...
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 Jarry