From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail in $HOME/.maildir, why ???
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:55:47
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Personally I do not see any advantage of it over /var/spool/mail.
4 > On the other side, separate partitions for /var (with mail) and /home
5 > (with user files) let me define different quotas for mail and files.
6 > Well, at least I thought it, until I found out that mail is actually
7 > in /home too...
8
9 There have been many discussions for years about how maildir is superior
10 to mbox format... Im sure Google will help you find them.
11
12 > Not for me, but for my users. Now I have to go through each mailreader
13 > and find out how to force it reading mails from .maildir
14
15 There is probably a global config file for most mailers.
16
17 > BTW, if some users do not have $HOME, where their .maildir will be???
18
19 Not all email systems use /var/mail or $HOME, qmail+vpopmail stores email
20 for everyone under /home/vpopmail/domains for example.
21
22 > > You could add mbox to your useflags and emerge sendmail. If you *really*
23 > > want to use mbox...
24 >
25 > That seem to me to be much easier. First I will find some info about it,
26 > but if there is no substantial advantage in using maildirs instead of
27 > /var/sool/mail, I will switch to the "old" mail storage system...
28
29 We had all sorts of performance problems with mbox format - it is not
30 scaleable, bigger mboxes produce huge loads on the server. I should also
31 mention that maildir is inherently safer over NFS than mbox.
32
33 Its clear from your posting that you have yet to experience the problems
34 that have caused a lot of server administrators to abandon mbox format.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list