From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox in headless configuration broken after update: delayed echo [ RESOLVED, kinda ]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 23:10:49
1 On 18/6/20 3:55 am, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 17 June 2020 21:32:19 CEST, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 18:31:42 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On 17 June 2020 19:01:54 CEST, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
5 >
6 > This brings another problem I have with KVM/QEMU: all howtos and documents I find show long commandline options to just start the VM.
7 > I have not found one where I can provide all the config in a single file and use that. Allowing me to duplicate settings by simply copying the file and changing a few lines.
8 >
9 > KVM/Qemu seems to be written to be used together with virt-manager which, for me, lacks important features to make it usable in production.
10 >
11 > --
12 > Joost
15 Until a few months ago I was using Qemu/KVM/VirtManager with snapshots
16 for linux and Windows VM's running network services - the trick is
17 redundancy and suspend.
18
19 Using libvirt, suspend the VM which copies ram to disk, then snapshot
20 ((I used btrfs) both the ram and storage and restart the VM - takes
21 seconds (so redundancy may be needed) - at this point I backup'ed the
22 snapshot and deleted it.
25 When using snapshots of live systems, I had problems restoring some of
26 the more active VM's which this avoids.
29 BillK