From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox in headless configuration broken after update: delayed echo [ RESOLVED, kinda ]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:55:41
1 On 17 June 2020 21:32:19 CEST, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 18:31:42 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On 17 June 2020 19:01:54 CEST, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
4 >wrote:
5 >
6 >> >https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots2
7 >>
8 >> Can you point to where in the commands above the memory anf cpu state
9 >is
10 >> actually stored and loaded back when reverting to the snapshot? From
11 >what I
12 >> see, it is only fhe disk image.
13 >> I really need this feature for lab environments where I need the
14 >ability to
15 >> fully roll back to a running instance.
16 >
17 >I understand runtime parameters (inc. RAM, CPU cores, et al.) are also
18 >reflected in the snapshot and have seen this mentioned in the
19 >interwebs, but
20 >as I have not performed an online snapshot myself and therefore I can't
21 >
22 >confirm its validity. :(
23 >
24 >However, all I see in the previous link plus the two below is
25 >manipulation of
26 >VM images.
27 >
28 >https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots
29
30 This one mentions the need for guest agent functionality to put the filesystem in a consistent state, to avoid having to fsck at restore time.
31 This does not sound like it includes actual memory amd cpu status in the snapshot.
32
33 VMWare, Virtualbox and Xen have had this functionality for decades. It really is a shame KVM and Qemu don't have this.
36 >https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration
39 >> >I've wanted to migrate a qemu qcow2 image file or two of different
40 >OS',
41 >> >all
42 >> >currently stored on an ext4 partition on my desktop, to a dedicated
43 >> >partition
44 >> >on the disk. Would this be possible - how? Would I need to change
45 >the
46 >> >qcow2
47 >> >to a raw image?
48 >>
49 >> I don't know. One of the reasons I dislike file based images is the
50 >lack of
51 >> transparency and tools. LVM is much simpler for disk based snapshots
52 >and
53 >> management.
54 >>
55 >> --
56 >> Joost
57 >
58 >I have found QEMU rather esoteric in its command range and options,
59 >which has
60 >changed over time; with older commands deprecated (e.g. '-drive
61 >if=virtio,...' replaced with '-blockdev file,...'. I'd like to migrate
62 >a
63 >Win10 VM to a disk partition, but would not want to mess this up,
64 >because I
65 >would hate to have to reinstall it.
66
67 This brings another problem I have with KVM/QEMU: all howtos and documents I find show long commandline options to just start the VM.
68 I have not found one where I can provide all the config in a single file and use that. Allowing me to duplicate settings by simply copying the file and changing a few lines.
69
70 KVM/Qemu seems to be written to be used together with virt-manager which, for me, lacks important features to make it usable in production.
73 Joost
77 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.