From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox in headless configuration broken after update: delayed echo [ RESOLVED, kinda ]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:32:54
1 On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 18:31:42 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 17 June 2020 19:01:54 CEST, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots2
5 >
6 > Can you point to where in the commands above the memory anf cpu state is
7 > actually stored and loaded back when reverting to the snapshot? From what I
8 > see, it is only fhe disk image.
9 > I really need this feature for lab environments where I need the ability to
10 > fully roll back to a running instance.
11
12 I understand runtime parameters (inc. RAM, CPU cores, et al.) are also
13 reflected in the snapshot and have seen this mentioned in the interwebs, but
14 as I have not performed an online snapshot myself and therefore I can't
15 confirm its validity. :(
16
17 However, all I see in the previous link plus the two below is manipulation of
18 VM images.
19
20 https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots
21 https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration
24 > >I've wanted to migrate a qemu qcow2 image file or two of different OS',
25 > >all
26 > >currently stored on an ext4 partition on my desktop, to a dedicated
27 > >partition
28 > >on the disk. Would this be possible - how? Would I need to change the
29 > >qcow2
30 > >to a raw image?
31 >
32 > I don't know. One of the reasons I dislike file based images is the lack of
33 > transparency and tools. LVM is much simpler for disk based snapshots and
34 > management.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Joost
38
39 I have found QEMU rather esoteric in its command range and options, which has
40 changed over time; with older commands deprecated (e.g. '-drive
41 if=virtio,...' replaced with '-blockdev file,...'. I'd like to migrate a
42 Win10 VM to a disk partition, but would not want to mess this up, because I
43 would hate to have to reinstall it.