From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:21:57
1 On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:05:24 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Robinson wrote:
2
3 > Honestly, your reply is not helpful. I have read through the the
4 > handbook and the directions there do not match the screen results.
5
6 You'd need to be more specific about that.
7
8 > I
9 > take offense at your arrogant tone in reply to a beginners request for
10
11 I wasn't trying to be offensive.
12
13 > help.While those with experience may find my request naive, I went to
14 > the list for suggestions beyond the handbook.Also, you confuse the two
15 > parts of my question in your smackdown.
16
17 Firstly, it wasn't a smackdown. Secondly, you asked two separate
18 questions. I only tried to answer one of them, which is why I quoted only
19 one.
20
21 As has been mentioned elsewhere, your problem was caused by missing a
22 step. The point I was trying to make is that it is important to follow
23 the handbook carefully, so the advice was to read it fully before
24 attempting to follow it. Reading it and following it at the same time is
25 asking for trouble.
26
27 Experience has shown that a large proportion of new user install
28 problems are caused by a failure to follow the handbook correctly.
29 Sometimes this is caused by someone thinking they know better and taking
30 a shortcut but more often it is simply a moaater of a mistake or
31 misunderstanding somewhere.
34 > Sorry for the annoyance and
35 > possibleviolation of list protocol, but I expected a bit more support.
36 >
37 > On Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:47 AM, Neil Bothwick