From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 00:36:11
1 On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 09:45:40PM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag 01 Oktober 2009 21:32:56 schrieb forgottenwizard:
3 >
4 > > However, I'm also wondering why the ebuild doesn't make use of the
5 > > EDITOR variable as was mentioned.
6 >
7 > Because that's the worst thing to do. An ebuild's behaviour should not depend
8 > on env variables (like it's still the case for this stupid grub ebuild),
9 > because the user never get's to see this. There are other possibilities, i.e.
10 > something like LINGUAS or VIDEO_CARDS, which are immediately visible.
11 >
12 > Bye...
13 >
14 > Dirk
17 So instead it should set a non-existant editor to the configured
18 default?
19
20 Another variable in make.conf may be a reasonable fix for this though
21 I'm sure someone will bitch about having to set $EDITOR twice on their
22 system.