From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: status of dev-java/icedtea
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 22:07:43
1 On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 00:13:10 +0000 (UTC) James wrote:
2 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph <at> gentoo.org> writes:
3 >
4 > > <gmane required pruning>
5 >
6 > > Is this e-mail you mentioned?
7 > >
8 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/e1d18d1bceecfe86879061bca4bfab16
9 >
10 > Yep that's it. I volunteered because no body else did. I am flexible
11 > on who does what, I'm just trying to help. I do like old C codes related to
12 > clusters and distributed file systems.
13 >
14 > Munge, ganglia, ganglia-web have all been assigned to the sys-cluster project.
15 > (Maintainer: cluster@g.o (Gentoo Cluster Project))
16 >
17 > I have a minor bump on munge completed, but the download file has a few
18 > issues, we can email about privately? bgo, or ? I'm struggling with github.
19 > Rich did point out a resource I need to read up on.
20
21 You can e-mail me on any issues privately, you may CC
22 cluster@g.o if you wish on related issues (but this is not
23 necessary).
24
25 Frankly, I'm not fond of GitHub due to its closed nature; so I can
26 use it if there is no other way around. But since you are not happy
27 with GitHub too, just mail me patches :)
28
29 > jsbronder is busy so that's why he released the packages in that list.
30 > I need a wee bit of help time to time. I'm not much on irc. I prefer ML
31
32 same here :)
33
34 > or one on one questions and the ML on proxy-maintainers is new and quirky::
35 > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.proxy-maint.
36 >
37 > So for sure I'll maintain openmesh:: Maintainer: None specified
38 >
39 > I have preformed a survey of what those for need and sent it to jsbronder,
40 > with no reply. If you want to fill in, I can send that email and questions
41 > to you directly?
42
43 Yes, sure.
44
45 > The survey for what those (4) packages need. I'm still
46 > learning, but have about a dozen working and about a dozen with issues.
47 > How shall we communicate (-irc).
48
49 Both e-mail and irc should be fine.
50
51 > > If yes, please send me a list of packages you'd like to maintain.
52 > > I'll see how I can help. (I'm not on proxy-maint team, but nobody
53 > > denies me to help individual users with selected packages :))
54 >
55 > If a dev wants to mentor a hack (like me) directly, there is no
56 > need to use proxy-maint, if that is what you prefer. I know you are busy.
57 > So, if you like, I can use proxy-maint via the ML, and you on more
58 > sys-cluster related things. However you want to roll, if fine with me.
59 >
60 > media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
61 > sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
62 > sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
63 > sys-cluster/munge
64
65 OK, I'll add you as a proxied maintainer of these packages.
66 Proxy-maint team will be also added as a backup if I'll be
67 unavailable for a long time.
68
69 The question is: which your e-mail to I should use as a contact
70 for packages metadata? wireless or graftd? If the latter one, please
71 register it on Gentoo Bugzilla.
72
73 > Once I get these cleaned up and upgraded to eapi-6, I like to take
74 > on :: sys-cluster/mpe2
75
76 Let me know when you will be ready to handle this package.
77
78 Also if you would like to add some new packages to the tree (or
79 restore old ones), this also can be done.
80
81 > > Best regards,
82 > > Andrew Savchenko
83 >
84 > I am still learning the tricks of ebuilds and struggle time to time.
85
86 None of us knows everything, it is normal to learn something new
87 here and there :)
88
89 Best regards,
90 Andrew Savchenko