From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:52:46
1 >> > A while back I was having networking issues. I eventually tried
2 >> > drastically lowering the MTU of all the systems onsite and the issues
3 >> > disappeared. I always thought the issue was due to the MTU on our
4 >> > modem/router. Today I read that AT&T DSL requires a 1492 MTU so I
5 >> > increased the MTU of our systems up to 1492 and haven't had any
6 >> > issues. Do certain ISPs require you to change the MTU of your entire
7 >> > network, or is this likely due to our AT&T modem/router itself?
8 >>
9 >> AFAIK the MTU is defined for every network interface separately. For an
10 >> ADSL connection it is common that a lower MTU is needed because of the
11 >> PPPoE header information that is encapsulated in the ethernet frames.
12 >> But in that case it is sufficient to lower the MTU just for the WAN
13 >> interface that is connected to the DSL modem.
14 >> If you don't use protocol encapsulation in your LAN then there should
15 >> be IMHO no reason for lowering the MTU of your internal interfaces.
16 >>
17 >> --
18 >> Regards
19 >> wabe
20 >
21 > MTU is per network interface but you really don't want to end up having
22 > your router fragment every IP packet because systems on your subnet are
23 > using a larger MTU.
24 >
25 > Todd
28 That makes sense. So in my case, I'm thinking 1492 MTU on every
29 interface in the network.
30
31 So I'm sure I understand, should everyone with a DSL connection set an
32 MTU of 1492 (or potentially lower) on all of their network interfaces
33 to avoid packet fragmentation?
34
35 - Grant